baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

> > insmod 8390 (okay)
>
> So far so good.
>
> > insmod ne 'Use of PCI-ne2000 driver recommended!'
> > (and it identified io 0x6500 and irq 12)
>
> Wrong module.
>
> > insmod ne2k-pci: No useable cards found, driver NOT installed'
>
> It's possible that your previous mistakes have clogged the NIC.
> If that is so, it may take a hard reset to clear the NIC.

I powered off and on and tried again 8390 ne ne2k-pci and got the same
thing about no useable cards found.
I repeated but did just 8390 and ne2k-pci and it worked this time.
Apparently ne did not work but 'clogged' the card so ne2k-pci could not
work.

net.i bzImage did not mention ne, just ne2k-pci.

I thought when using ne2k-pci first you had to insmod ne. Wrong.
Other users said modprobe automatically loads one if you load the other.

My two winbond cards call for:
906 ne (+8390)
940 ne,ne2k-pci (+8390) - does this mean either ne or ne2k-pci, or both?
I will find out shortly by using net.i bzImage.