baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

> net.i bzImage did not mention ne, just ne2k-pci.
>
> I thought when using ne2k-pci first you had to insmod ne. Wrong.
> Other users said modprobe automatically loads one if you load the other.
>
> My two winbond cards call for:
> 906 ne (+8390)
> 940 ne,ne2k-pci (+8390) - does this mean either ne or ne2k-pci, or both?
> I will find out shortly by using net.i bzImage.

Apparently the winbond card that lists ne,ne2k-pci in the online howto
only needs ne2k-pci. A member of my bbs just offered me two ISA ethernet
cards with a BNC cable. I accepted the cable, which will work with these
two PCI cards (both types of connector).

I can trade the too-new PCI card for some older ones Thursday rather than
remembering to use a later kernel for file transfer in order to work with
a later module.

What sort of connector/cable is used with the gameport style?
This was 1992. How long have ethernet cards been around?

I sent from a computer with 100Mbit to one with 10MBit and the speed
seemed identical (about 7 sec for 14M image file). Is the speed
determined just by the sending end? At 10 Mbit (about 1.2 Mbyte) per
second my 147MB linux installation would take 125 seconds or about 2
minutes to transfer, good enough for me. 60 min was actually a bit of a
wait (via plip).