baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:44:59 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> So I booted with the BL2 kernel and there was something
> in dmesg about ne.c

What exactly did it say about ne.c? If you haven't got
a line starting with eth0, there is no hit.

> I booted again with the net.i bzImage and this time it
> does not seem to be telling me to use ne.c.

this time??? Did net.i tell you something different about
this card before?

> 3c59x.c:v.99H ...... (URL for info on this driver)
> ne2k-pci.c:vpre-1.00e.....

The kernel is trying different possibilities on the card.

> WARNING: THE PCI BIOS assigned this PCI NE2k card to IRQ 0,
> which is unlikely to work!.
> You should use the PCI BIOS setup to assign a valid IRQ line.

Did you go to the CMOS setup and try to fix this?

> ne2k-pci.c PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-0029' at I/O 0x6500, IRQ 0
> eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x6500, IRQ 0....

That's a hit. Although it won't work with that IRQ.

> via-rhine.c.... (what is this?)

A different NIC module. It's still checking for NICs.

> lots of lines about eth1 eth2 etc. not identified in the printer port

It's checking for a NIC (D-Link?) that attaches to the printer port.

> I presume this means that I should add io=0x6500
> to the insmod ne2k-pci line

Nope. The ne2k-pci module does not need an io parameter
(as long a your PCI is working properly). It is the ne
module that needs an io parameter.

> could someone please explain to me what exactly I am supposed
> to do in BIOS setup

That depends on the BIOS in your system. They are not all
the same.

> (which I think it what I do right after turning on the computer
> and hitting DEL or F1 to enter Setup)

Once you find a way to get in (which varies from system to
system), you should find something in the menu(s) related
to PCI.

> so that BIOS will assign IRQ 11 or 12 instead of 0?

I don't think it's a matter of assigning specific IRQs to
specific cards. It's more likely you will have to activate
or deactivate something.

> the other one I got needs a winbond module

Have tried it with the net.i from Slackware 7.1? If that
finds nothing, try the net.i from the latest Slackware.

> which is not on my CD. Is there some other place to get
> them for SW71 or must I compile it myself?

Slackware provides pre-compiled modules for the NICs available
at the time of release. If your NIC post-dates that version
of Slackware, you will have to get the module elsewhere. One
option is to compile your own. Another is to find a kernel
(eg from a later Slackware) that has a pre-compiled module for
that NIC.

> It also looks like I need to insmod 8390

Yes.

> followed by 3c59x

No.

> and then ne2k-pci, but not ne itself. ???

Have you looked at /root/netsetup ???
insmod 8390
insmod ne2k-pci
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1