baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:39:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 May 2004, David Lane wrote:

> You can get the two disks for the 3com here.
>
> David Lane
>
> http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm

Thanks. Here is what I found. My Etherlink III is the same as
Etherlink 10 (both ISA). Disk 1 (about 1M) seems to be only for
Windows, not DOS. Disk 2 includes 'various DOS based operating systems'
and is about 840K - would this provide the DOS utility?

If Robert Steinmetz happens to know the name of the DOS utility I could
look for that and avoid this large download.

If this were a zip instead of an .exe file I could download it to the
computer with the fast connection that I do my mail from and then just
download what I needed. Is there some way to unpackage an .exe file with
linux?

This is getting more interesting. The PCI cards were much too easy for us
BL2'ers.

If I give up on this I have a choice of 10-15 other PCI cards Thursday.

EtherDisk 6.1Release for the 3C509 and 3C509B

This EtherDisk release replaces EtherDisk 6.0 and 6.0.2. EtherDisk 6.1
has been revised and is split into two diskettes.

EtherDisk #1 contains all the files necessary to install the EtherLink
10 ISA in Windows 95/98 or Windows NT. This includes a Windows based
GUI installer for Windows 95/98 and a post installation configuration
and diagnostic tool, accessible from a system tray icon and from the
Windows Start Menu, for both Windows 9x and Windows NT environments.
Both NDIS3 and NDIS4 miniport drivers are included and appropriately
installed in Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0.

EtherDisk #2 contains the software that was on EtherDisk 6.0. This
includes installation for NetWare versions 3.X and 4.X, various DOS
based network operating systems, IBM OS/2, and the packet driver.

What is Netware? Do I need a packet driver and if so why?

Full duplex support for the 3C509B has been added to the NetWare
server and Windows NT/95/98 drivers. Control of the full duplex
feature is provided in the configuration and diagnostic program. Full
duplex operation improves overall network throughput on twisted pair
(TP) networks.

A boot ROM for the EtherLink 10 ISA product family is available from
your network supplier. The 3C5-TriROM supports NetWare boot, RPL, and
BootP network boot protocols.

The EtherLink 10 ISA, formerly known as the EtherLink III, has gone
through a product name change. The products are fully compatible and
the terms EtherLink III and EtherLink 10 ISA can be used
interchangeably.

Important

Not all NICS and hardware product features are supported with this
EtherDisk. The 3C509 and 3C509B in both classic and Plug n Play modes
are fully supported.
The 3C509 and 3C509B in EISA mode are not supported.
The 3C579 EISA NICs are not supported.
The 3C529 MicroChannel NICs are partially supported. In Windows 95 and
Windows NT, the NIC driver can be installed and removed, but the
windows diagnostic program and tray icon are not loaded. To make
configuration changes or test a 3C529, use the DOS diagnostic on
diskette #2.

Download:

File Name: 3c509x1.exe Size: 1114721 Date: 6/22/99
Disk 1-[4]FTP Disk 1-[5]HTTP
File Name: 3c509x2.exe Size: 849119 Date: 6/22/99
Disk 2-[6] FTP Disk 2-[7]HTTP