baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:10:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I sent from a computer with 100Mbit to one with 10MBit and the speed
> seemed identical (about 7 sec for 14M image file). Is the speed
> determined just by the sending end? At 10 Mbit (about 1.2 Mbyte) per
> second my 147MB linux installation would take 125 seconds or about 2
> minutes to transfer, good enough for me. 60 min was actually a bit of a
> wait (via plip).

The speed is determined by both ends of the line. If either end is only
10Mb, then you will only be able to transfer at 10Mb. If both ends are
100Mb, then you get that nice fast speed for 100Mb transfer. Imagine
trying to push water through a pipe. If you have either end of the line
partially closed, you limit the amount of water flowing through. If both
ends are fully opened though, a lot more can get through.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org