baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:14:20 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> insmod 8390 (okay)

So far so good.

> insmod 3c59x - Device or resource busy

Wrong module.

> insmod ne 'Use of PCI-ne2000 driver recommended!'
> (and it identified io 0x6500 and irq 12)

Wrong module.

> insmod ne2k-pci: No useable cards found, driver NOT installed'

It's possible that your previous mistakes have clogged the NIC.
If that is so, it may take a hard reset to clear the NIC.

> route
> eth0 is not on the list.

eth0 will not be on the list until you ifconfig it.

> Is this or is this not a pci card?

What does net.i say?

> Linux tells me first that it is not really a pci card,

How exactly does "Linux" tell you that?

> then treats it as if it were,

How?

> then tells me to load the pci module,

Sounds reasonable to me.

> then says it cannot find a pci ethernet card,

Because of your system BIOS. Don't blame "Linux" for this.

> It seems to be rather confused, as am I. Help!

Change a PCI setting in your BIOS. Boot net.i.
Does it get a useable IRQ for eth0? If not: repeat.

> I see why the rummage sale does not sell cards with BNC
> connectors, which means that they are older and thus
> probably more prone to these problems.

On the contrary, old BNC cards are less prone to problems
(other than wear and tear). Most BNC NICs are ISA cards
and don't use PCI to set the IRQ and io address.

The biggest advantage of old NICs (other than the cheap price)
is that you are almost certain to find the appropriate module
in Slackware (once you figure out exactly which module to use).

> At least all my parallel ports take the same plip module.

And we all know how well PLIP works for you.