baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 23:01:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I have three UTP cables. If I put the plugs next to each other, on the
> first two (from the rummage sale) they both look the same (grey orange
> black red....).
>
> On the third one (yard sale, where he has more) they are mirror images.
> Is this crossover?

So-called "straight through" cat 5 cables (non-crossover) will have the
following wire coloring scheme at the plug end (viewed from the plug's
top):

either both ends Or/Wh | Or | Gr/Wh | Bl | Bl/Wh | Gr | Br/Wh | Br or both
ends Gr/Wh | Gr | Or/Wh | Bl | Bl/Wh | Or | Br/Wh | Br .

A crossover cable, when plug ends are viewed with the same orientation
will have one end Or/Wh | Or | Gr/Wh | Bl | Bl/Wh | Gr | Br/Wh | Br and
the other end Gr/Wh | Gr | Or/Wh | Bl | Bl/Wh | Or | Br/Wh | Br

There are alot of these cat 5 cable diagrams available on the web if my
text version is a bit difficult to interpret.

James