baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 2004, russ loroville wrote:

> Sindi,
> If you have access to a win95 computer you could try copying the win.com
> file to the computer that has old win98(I believe win.com is small enough
> to fit on a floppy). Rename the old win98 win.com file as win.comm
> (2m's)(just in case this doesn't work then you can rename it back to
> win.com). The win.com file is located in the "c:\windows" folder. This
> will make the win98 look like win95 and therefore can be upgraded. All of
> this will have to be done in DOS before booting to windows. You may have
> to "attrib -h -r -s win.com" to unhide it and make it amendable on all
> computers.

This would be a good idea if we were trying to upgrade from Win98 first
edition to what we have on our Windows Upgrade CD, but:

What we have is:

1. Upgrade CD to upgrade from Win32 or Win95 to Win98 first edition.
(Apparently you don't really need Windows on there to start with, just the
registration number from the earlier version will fool the program.)

2. Installation CD to install Win98 Second Edition, which will not work
to upgrade first edition or anything earlier.

What we apparently need is the CD to upgrade Win98 first edition to second
edition, or if we were to use your trick, to upgrade Win95 to Win98SE.

But I don't need to upgrade Win98SE, just the X2 56K modem to V90.
Someone said that Windows stopped supporting 360K drives - must have been
between first and second edition since the second does not display a B:
while the first does. I will put in a floppy disk so it does not choke on
B:. All my software seems content with first edition (Opera, Realone,
Word Viewer, Office). Are there some files that I should update to make
things work better?