baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 19:07:00 -0400 (EDT)

I put two matching Kingston cards in two linux computers (BL2 on hard
drive) and copied tulip.o to the misc directory.

I plugged in what I think is a crossover cable (put the two ends together
end to end and they don't line up) but the other style also did not work.

insmod 8390
insmod tulip [got something back about LITE-On PNIC-II rev 37 with base
addresses and IRQs that differed for the two computers. One is IRQ 10 and
the other which has a sound card is IRQ 12]
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
(or 192.168.1.2 on the other computer)

Ping 192.168.1.2 - no packet transfer.

I plug in the parallel cable and insmod parport etc. and ping works.
I unplug the parallel cable and ping does not work.
I don't know how to rmmod plip because it says it is busy.

I plug in a different network cable which also does not work.

There is one light on on each card. I plug in the cable and a second
light goes on on each card.

It will ping itself but not the other number.

There was something about alias eth0 in modules.conf in the linux HOWTO
but not in Steven's instructions. This sounds superfluous to me. Tulip
is just as easy to type as eth0 if not more so.

One of these computers is the one that was not booting linux but it is
booting linux fine now. It also would not work with two 8X CD-ROM drives
(one was intermittent) and works with a 4X. Should I try a different
computer? Is there some way to test that the card is working besides
trying to use it?

I was going to put it in our other test computer but there are no PCI
slots in the 486-pentium-overdrive board. I have a VLB controller and
video card in there.

I will wait to hear if I am doing something wrong before trying another
computer. I was going to transfer fs.img via ethernet.

HELP!

All of this experimenting seems to have greased something in this computer
because now it is doing plip and linux boots perfectly every time. A
sticky electronic switch? But the CD-ROM problem (worked with 4X but not
with two 8X, one of them intermittently) suggests some timing problem
which maybe is affecting ethernet now.