baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:36:34 -0400 (EDT)

My two Kingston cards (PCI, 100 Mbit) are working perfectly but I don't
want to keep moving them between computers because the gold might wear off
the stripes, so I was planning to use my Realtek RTL-8029 network card
temporarily in the others to transfer fs.img to three more computers.

I had looked it up in the online linux howto for ethernet which said
though it was a PCI card it had the older chip on it (and was slow as
molasses), and to use ne and ne2k-pci modules (which Steven provided).

So I booted with the BL2 kernel and there was something in dmesg about
ne.c but when I tried to use the card ifconfig told me:

no PCI cards found. Use io-0xNNN value(s) for ISA cards.

So this is apparently acting like an ISA card, as predicted.

I booted again with the net.i bzImage and this time it does not seem to be
telling me to use ne.c.

3c59x.c:v.99H ...... (URL for info on this driver)
ne2k-pci.c:vpre-1.00e.....
WARNING: THE PCI BIOS assigned this PCI NE2k card to IRQ 0, which is
unlikely to work!.
You should use the PCI BIOS setup to assign a valid IRQ line.
ne2k-pci.c PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-0029' at I/O 0x6500, IRQ 0
eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x6500, IRQ 0....
via-rhine.c.... (what is this?)
lots of lines about eth1 eth2 etc. not identified in the printer port

I presume this means that I should add io=0x6500 to the insmod ne2k-pci
line (the base address) but could someone please explain to me what
exactly I am supposed to do in BIOS setup (which I think it what I do
right after turning on the computer and hitting DEL or F1 to enter Setup)
so that BIOS will assign IRQ 11 or 12 instead of 0?

I see why I am advised to use a 'real' PCI not this realtek PCI card but
the other one I got needs a winbond module which is not on my CD. Is
there some other place to get them for SW71 or must I compile it myself?

It also looks like I need to insmod 8390 (or don't I need this) followed
by 3c59x and then ne2k-pci, but not ne itself. ???

On Thursday I can go get some other network cards to try if this does not
work, but I would like to get this done today if possible so I welcome
suggestions. (Otherwise we will be biking the computers to their final
location - we have a ride for them tomorrow).