baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:08:16 -0500

Sindi Keesan wrote:

Linux HOWTO says to us driver 3c509 and something about latency and not
enough buffer but the B version had more RAM onboard.
I used to use a lot of these cards, they were very reliable and 3com has a lifetime warranty, if you have one go bad you can sent it to them and they will send you another one.

Mine is version TP which is not mentioned. I should use a DOS utility to
disable PnP first,
then do a hard reset.

There were several versions of this card with different cable connectors. Some early version did not have the RJ45 8 conductor cable. Some had 3 connectors BNC AUI and TP (Twisted Pair - RJ45 ) some had only the Twisted Pair ( RJ45 ) connector.

The utility also lets me select 10baseT (RJ45),
10base2 (BNC) or AUI (the game port?) and this is not automatic.

It is automatic on at least some versions of the cards, but can be set by the utility.

I did not understand much of this and don't know where I would get a utility.

It is a DOS utility and can still be downloaded from 3com's website www.3com.com, select support -> downloads -> 3c509. If not I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere. Finally I could send it to you if you can't find it anywhere else , but I would have to go find it and make a zip file so it would probably have to wait until this weekend.

--
Robert Steinmetz AIA
Principal