baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 23:05:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Secnod card (with BNC connector). RTL8029AS. No RTLs, but
> > I found Realtek and it takes ne ne2k-pci.
>
> My realtek NIC uses the rtl8139 module. What does the net.i
> kernel say?
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

I have not tried that yet, but the ethernet HOWTO said that RTL8029AS is
unlike the newer Realtek PCI cards and is just an old design on a new bus
and is slow. I presume the rtl8139 is for the newer design. The HOWTO
specifically said to use ne and ne2k-pci for this chip.

We had to stop doing network while fixing a monitor (broken wire) and
recycling a 1983 Zenith that came with 2 floppy drives and would not run
linux even on the added hard card with about 3 pounds of memory chips on
the memory board, and two 1200 bps modems built like tanks. The speakers
looked better than they use now for computer PC speakers. Some people
really don't like to throw things out as long as they work. These came
from a friend. We declined the RGB monitor.