baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 15:56:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I presume I next plug them into the computer one at a time and read dmesg
> to find out what they are and then look up the correct module somewhere in
> the HOWTO.

Oops. One more thing. If the chipsets are not clearly labelled, I'd look
them up by FCC number on Google, then restrict that search by the term
"Linux." Or just go to www.google.com/linux and stick in the FCC number
there. This should get you results on which module(s) you'll need most
quickly. Be aware as well that some cards need 2 modules: the one for the
card and another as a "helper" module. My smc-ultras require such a
helper module, and simply would not work without it.

James