baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 21:43:37 -0400 (EDT)

Last time I tried with what I thought was crossover cable, then did a
parallel transfer, then tried the other cable and it did not work either.

I left the second cable plugged in (where the ends have colors that line
up with each other, I think - am I wrong here?) and turned on the two
computers and tried again, in order to check 'route' as you suggested.
Then I decided to give ping one more try and this time it worked. Maybe
using plip in the middle last time interfered somehow. I also sent one
50K file in some fraction of a second and will try fs.img next.

Summary of what worked:
Look up the card name in linux online-HOWTO (which said it was one of
three possibilities for Kingston), look it up by name on the web and find
tulip.o, also boot with bzImage from net.i and it said something about
tulip.c. Copy tulip.o to the misc directory under modules on both
computers and install the cards and plug in the cable (of the proper
sort).

insmod 8390
insmod tulip [for other cards a different module here]
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 [on the other computer .2]
ping 192.168.1.2

If this transfers files, then type
receive [on the computer to receive]
send [on the sending computer]
192.168.1.2 [name of receiving computer]
filename

I seem to have a 100Mb card by accident.

This was, once I spent an hour or so finding the correct module and
installing it, quicker to type than plip. Three lines instead of the five
you need if you have not already installed the parport modules, and less
numbers to get wrong.

I may get two more pairs of cards. I could not find the winbond module -
is it simply not available precompiled for sw71? Too new? I will get
another cable of the sort that worked (colors line up end to end).

Will let you know if fs.img transfers properly now.....

Took about 3-4 seconds estimated.
The receiving computer spouted a long list of:
VM: do_try_to-free-pages failed for nc (or for tar)

The md5sums are identical!!!!!!!

I am convinced that ethernet is useful:
1. It transfers files without errors.
2. It is much faster (esp. my 100Mb cards)
3. I don't need to unplug the printer first
4. It requires a bit less typing (one long number, no echos)
5. There is no way to get the cable pushed in only halfway without
noticing, as happens sometimes with the parallel cable (we don't screw
them in because we will just be putting back the printer cable).

I wish I had known this all before doing five 147MB 60 min plip transfers
(and a few other longish ones).

Thanks to everyone who talked me into and through this.

I hope they have two of the correct cable where I got the two wrong ones.
The correct one was from a yard sale which closed, but had a large box of
misc. cables. I might try there again. This one looks like something
inside is actually twisted. It is unlabelled.