baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:30:28 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> OK, BasicLinux 3.00 is now available:

> http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/bl3-00.zip
>
> I've used some new techniques in BL3 so I'm not sure if it
> will boot for all of you. All my testing has been with MSDOS
> (no Windows here). I would be very interested to hear if it
> works with other flavors of DOS and with Windows 95/98 in DOS
> mode.

We will test with Win98 DOS and DR-DOS (next to latest version).

> IMPORTANT NOTE: You must unzip BL3-00.zip in C:\baslin
> It will not work anywhere else.

This means that we cannot put BL2 in a baslin directory. Might you rename
it baslin3 to help keep track of which basiclinux is in the directory?

> There is a small swap file in the zip to augment the memory
> on low RAM systems. If you have 4mb RAM, you *must* activate
> the swap file. It is also a good idea for 8mb RAM (with more
> RAM than that, forget about the swap file). You activate the
> swap file by unzipping it (in C:\baslin).
>
> BL3 auto-mounts your C: partition (in order to access some files
> in C;\baslin), so there is a now a possibility of you accidently
> deleting files on C:. I suggest you do not play with BL3 on a
> system that has valuable data on your C: drive.

Hopefully users won't be more likely to delete files from C: when in linux
than they are when in DOS.

> To mount a DOS floppy:
> ---------
> mount /fd
> ---------

Is this an alias and will mount /dev/fd0 /fd also still work?

> To mount a CDrom, you will need to do three insmods to activate
> CDrom-capability (unlike BL2, it is not built into the kernel).
> See /etc/rc. BTW, any configuration changes you make to BL3 will
> *not* disappear when you reboot. They will still be there next
> time you boot. So, if you edit /etc/rc or /etc/profile, your
> changes will come into effect the next time you boot.

Sounds great! I have downloaded BL3-00.zip and plip'ed it to a second
computer already. We will also test it on the 486 laptop now that plip
works (the laptop tends to power off when you use the floppy drive).
Next email will be from BL3, if all goes well.

A new friend (interested in linux) is coming by in 2 days to see all our
linuxes. This arrived just in time.

Is it Tuesday there already?