baslinux - Re: [BL] plip problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip problems
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:02:33 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I looked at your scripts (or someone's scripts) for send
> > and receive and they appear to be testing ping
>
> BTW, if you get your IP addresses wrong, you could end up
> pinging yourself. In that case the ping will work, but
> the send will fail.

Plip now works. Apparently I was giving the hostname of the computer I
was typing on, when asked for host name, and when I gave the same number
for ping, the computer I was on pinged itself, as you said. Thanks!.

Instructions for use (that work): type

ifconfig plip0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2 on either computer
type the same thing but switch the two numbers on the other computer

ping the second number that you typed on that computer and it should
transfer packets in a few ms. If I give the first number, it transfers
packets in 0.0 ms (to itself).

When asked for the hostname give the second number that you typed on that
computer, which is the hostname of the other computer. If I give the
first number, I get 'no connect' but it apparently still sends the file,
like it says - to itself!

If you are the one who wrote the send script, you might want to dummy
proof it some day when you have more time, so that it wont' send files to
the sending computer when someone gives the wrong host name. I have no
idea how to do this since ping is working.

Either computer can send or receive, just type receive on one computer,
send on the other, then send, to the hostname that was typed second on
that computer.

Thanks for fixing my problem. I was not looking forward to trying to
configure an ftp server.

> > sending files using something called 'nc'
>
> netcat
>
> > nc -l -p 33|tar -xv
> > tar -cf -$filename|nc $hostname 33
> >
> > Could I substitute the number of the receiving computer
> > (ends in .2) for $hostname
>
> Sure.

> > Is 33 the port?
>
> nc --help

I did that and it gave some very cryptic info about things like PORT,
which is why I asked.

> > -l - listen mode -- what does this mean?
>
> It tells netcat to input data from the specified port.

What is a port? (You don't have to answer if you are busy).