baslinux - [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:57:17 -0600 (CST)

Preliminary report:

Couldn't boot at first due to an apparent IDE controller problem (it was
probing for a non-existent disk, and when it couldn't find it, the boot
process would abort). I fixed this by adding hde=none hdf=none to
boot.bat.

Booted fine after that, but I couldn not get X to start - the old "pointer
does not point at ROM" error culminating in a segmentation fault. To see
the error, I would have to ctrl-alt-F2, then ctrl-alt-F1 (ctrl-alt-bkspc
would not kill the process). Tried booting DOS with no autoexec.bat and
config.sys. First time after that, X would still not start, but on
subsequent tries - walla! - it started. Is this TWM, Steven? I tried
both startxt and startx. I'm not quite clear on how X stuff gets fed to
this machine from some other on my network, but that's something that can
be worked out. Here's the main problem I'm confronting: the mouse cursor
(serial mouse on com1) will only move along the x axis (vertical) - I
cannot get any lateral movement from it. Any ideas what could be up with
that? Don't know if this is related, but after stopping X, the screen is
full, top to bottom, with the following message:
Int 10h (0x4F09) failed: 0x4F09 (unknown error)
I'll have to load my NIC's module there by other means as well (SMC
Ultra), since it's not included withn the modules, so I'm not yet
networked.

Overall, it looks really interesting. I look forward to fiddling with it
some more as I get time. Nice work. Thanks for your efforts, Steven.

James