baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:02:35 -0500 (EST)

Still on BL3 first edition. Trying add-ons.

I downloaded lynx and kermit compiled for Slackware 4.0.
I had lynx from SW3.2 working fine with BL1 (even with the later kernel, I
think) and it was version 2.6 or so (2.7?).

This lynx is version 2.8.1 and requires zlib which BL1 does not have. I
will try getting it from my SW3.2 CD.

It also requires libncurses.so.0.3.4 which I set up as a symlink to
libncurses.so.1.9.9g from BL1. Kermit requires the same library but
nothing else.

I tried Kermit and was told 'floating point exception'. Should I try the
Kermit for SW3.0-SW3.5 (which one to try first)? Or the libncurses from
SW4.0? 248K for the older one from BL1.

Lynx 2.8.1 for SW4.1 is 852K, lynx.cfg 84K but most of this could be
deleted. lynx.lss may be needed but I have not got that far yet.
I might just try the lynx for SW3.2 instead, for a while. (no zlib
needed, maybe it is statically compiled with it?)

I have discovered that you cannot copy linux files to a DOS disk without
first renaming them to 8.3 format, it just refuses to copy otherwise.

Have not downloaded BL3-0.1 yet. Jim offered to try it with a hard drive
formatted various ways with DR-DOS (4 primary, or some logical/extended
partitions). We have a test computer set up without any drive yet.

I will also try booting first time with mono VGA monitor plugged in.