baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:43:43 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > Xvesa -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -screen 1024x768x16 -shadow
> > > -nolisten tcp -I &>/dev/null
>
> Where did you get your copy of Xvesa? I downloaded
> the version at DeliLinux but it comes up with an
> "Illegal instruction" error.

I got mine at delilinux. Maybe you should download another copy?
All I did was install it, install devs.tgz, use your suggested line to
boot bare.i (bzimage), and type Xvesa and I got the grey screen with X
mouse pointer. I could also change resolution if I wanted to type -screen
and the resolution.

I just realized that xxfbd.tgz is not the same as xvesa.tgz. The former
requires an XF86Config file which it installs but it does not work for me
- something about 'no screen'. They have in common only the fact that
they require VESA 2.0 and bare.i, I think.

> > Now how do I start an xterm or run a program or even load icewm?
> > .xinitrc is apparently not used by Xvesa.
>
> Try starting Xvesa from xinit (then it will probably
> use your settings from ~/.xinitrc). Maybe something
> like this:
> -----------------------
> xinit -- /path_to/Xvesa
> -----------------------

I did this (without any parameters after Xvesa) and got a grey background,
640 resolution, icewm!!!!!

xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 1280x1024x16

This gives me a 1280 resolution screen but only 8-bit color
800x600x24 also gives me 8-bit color (light turquoise)

Using an s3 server and 16-bit color gives me a dark blue screen.
(But I have an SiS AGP chip in the computer so I can't use S3. And if
Xvesa requires VESA 2.0 I can't use it for the S3 card.)

It is a lot easier than setting up with XF86config but does not give any
improvement in color depth over the svga server. What next?
It is also a lot easier to choose resolution and color depth now.

I would think Xvesa would provide more colors, since Xvesa -listmodes
gives a long list of possible resolutions and color depths. Should I try
some other way of specifying modes instead of writing out 80x600x24?

Xvesa -mode [mode number]

I tried -mode 0x0192 and again got 8-bit color (and 1024 resolution)

This is fun but I am still trying to get more colors, as a challenge.

Have you looked at XF86Config-fbdev or tried it yourself? When I copied
over that file to name XF86Config and installed xxfbd.dev it told me
something about 'no screen' being defined. The config file seems to be
defining it.