sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:02:37 -0500

Dufflebunk wrote:
The problem with doing it that way is what about spells in z-rejected
(for example) which depend on a spell in devel or test or stable? Only
one could be put there. Or what if someone has a newer version of a
spell in their personal grimoire, would cast ignore that version if
another grimoire was specified? What if people start publishing their
own grimoires of personal spells and naming becomes a problem?

That sounds more negative that I meant it to. The idea is a good one. I
looked into doing something like that a little while ago, but ran into
the problems I mentioned above. The only way around them is to first see
if there's a spell, then if not, tell the user the suggested grimoire is
needed (and prompt for a scribe add perhaps), but that seems kludgy to
me :/

Well, like I said in another email, I'm just trying to get the ideas flowing. We can eliminate the bad ideas later, but for now, I'd like to get ideas down so we can begin to take care of the problem.

We'd still need a way to specify the suggested grimoire needed, which this would still do. Would we really want to prompt to see if they want to download the alternate grimoire. Maybe if it was an optional depends, but for a required depends I think we should just download the thing.

Geoff