sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

Geoffrey Derber said:
> Now that we've had a couple weeks with the new grimoires. I think it's
> time to try and tackle some of the problems with multiple grimoires.
>
> Mainly, any ideas on how to take care of cross grimoire dependencies?
>
> For example xvid in the z-rejected section is an optional dependency for
> mplayer.
>
> Off hand, I don't see any clean way to do it. Optional dependencies are
> less of a problem than required dependencies.
>
> one method might be to modified the 'depends' command
>
> 'depends <spell> [<other_grimoire>]' which would inform the user that
> another grimoire is needed, download it, install, then continue.
>
> Geoff

I think that might confuse some packages, as we currently can do 'depends
<spell> [<configure flags>]'. A better way (IMHO) would be to have
'[optional_]depends [grimoire]/<spell> [other flags]', then we just check
for the '/' character and if it's there, check if <grimoire> is installed,
if not, ask the user if they want it installed (keep in mind that spells
can only depend on other spells in the standard grimoires (if the
dependency is not in the current grimoire) and not on custom grimoires),
otherwise continue on.

Thoughts?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61