sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

Jason Flatt said:
> On Thursday 10 July 2003 03:02 pm, Geoffrey Derber wrote:
>>
>> Well, like I said in another email, I'm just trying to get the ideas
>> flowing. We can eliminate the bad ideas later, but for now, I'd like to
>> get ideas down so we can begin to take care of the problem.
>>
>> We'd still need a way to specify the suggested grimoire needed, which
>> this would still do. Would we really want to prompt to see if they want
>> to download the alternate grimoire. Maybe if it was an optional
>> depends, but for a required depends I think we should just download the
>> thing.
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> I respectfully disagree. I do sometimes kill a cast when I see a depends,
> required or not, that I'm not ready to install. I think I would want to
> know
> that a spell was going to install a grimoire and give me the option of
> bailing out if I chose to.

I agree, automatic is not the way, we want to query the user so that they
can /choose/ what they want to do, we don't want to force our opinions
onto them.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61