sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:49:30 -0000

The problem with doing it that way is what about spells in z-rejected
(for example) which depend on a spell in devel or test or stable? Only
one could be put there. Or what if someone has a newer version of a
spell in their personal grimoire, would cast ignore that version if
another grimoire was specified? What if people start publishing their
own grimoires of personal spells and naming becomes a problem?

That sounds more negative that I meant it to. The idea is a good one. I
looked into doing something like that a little while ago, but ran into
the problems I mentioned above. The only way around them is to first see
if there's a spell, then if not, tell the user the suggested grimoire is
needed (and prompt for a scribe add perhaps), but that seems kludgy to
me :/