sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Martin Ruderer <martin AT lddd.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross grimoire dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:53:45 -0400

Martin Ruderer wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:37:46 -0400
"Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com> wrote:

That's not a very constructive feedback,

Indeed. ;-)

but I think we need /one/
grimoire with a smart update mechanism rather than /many/ grimoires
with a host of problems and no good solutions. Even updating grimoires
via CVS is a better idea. Also, if we had Subversion repository, we'd
be able to run a file sync operation between DAV filesystem and the
local filesystem, so that only updated files would be downloaded. It
could even be Subversion's update operation (and it would try to merge
the changes like CVS would).

These are in fact two distinctive problems. We do have the multi-grmoire
approach now. More than ever before since the grimoire splitting. We
I think that we don't "have" a multi-grimoire approach, but that we're stuck with the multi-grimoire approach. I'm trying to say politely that this was a wrong decision that introduced problems that we're trying to discuss without analyzing the cause.
surely have to deal with the update problem, but that should take place
in another thread. ;-)
I'm trying to steer discussion in a way that I think is more productive. I may be wrong, but that kind of goes with every message I send.

Sergey.