permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 06:39:02 -0800 (PST)

as a note, the phosphate mines in Florida are doing horrible damage to
environments. Not even remotely sustainable to use mined phosphate - as bad
as coal mining, etc. It's a good thing to check into mining practices of
whatever rock minerals you get. Using the waste stream is the best. I haven't
had rock dust from various waste streams tested around here but something on
my list. As you say Lawrence, there is plenty of science out there about the
positive effects of rock minerals on plants.

There is the soil science and then there are other factors.  I always test
products and product combinations in my own garden for many reasons. The main
way I've done it is with seedlings but I'm doing more with trees and other
things now. One major wild card factor is the spiritual relationship between
a person and their plants. And that sometimes supercedes all the nutrients in
the world. I've had people go into my "volunteer" garden area and kill or
stunt things just by being around them, and others go in and the plant just
leaps upward and outward.  That is a fascinating study.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition