permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:13:58 -0500

On 3/8/2013 12:38 AM, tanya wrote:

Engineers will prefer the Solomon approach, very linear and
numbers-based, with detailed arguments for making each choice.

Like hell they will. Soloman is no scientist; he is a snake oil salesman, irresponsible and unconscientious. BS to sell his product.
I put him in the same category as vlad, equally bad.

As for the effectiveness of quarry rock dusts and rock dust soil amendments from a reputable dealer like Fertrell, rock phosphate, greensand, azomite and other products, these materials feed the soil, they feed the microorganisms that live in the soil that provide plant nutrients and build overall soil quality for the long term. Rock powders contribute to the production of "nutrient dense" food that contribute to maximum human health. They also dramatically increase the flavor of crops, apearance, size, nutritional quaity and keeping qualities. Use quarry rock dusts freely after reading the MSDS on them to determine their chemical makeup. Quarries are strictly EPA regulated and siltation pond fines are clean.

and Solomon has a whole chapter about not relying on
compost.

Again, he has not the slightest clue what he is talking about. Pure snake oil BS. Use as much compost as you are able to apply to your garden or farm soil. Ignore what that senile greedy fool rants about and get on with your work. He is a distraction and a bad influence on gardeners and farmers who adhere to natural methods and materials.

In Mexico his book would be recycled in the bathroom.

If anyone else has read either or both of these books, I'd be
interested in hearing what you think. I've been thinking of getting my
soil tested (at a community garden plot) and playing around with more
than just the alfalfa pellets, nettle and comfrey teas, and compost
I've been using.

Forget Logan Labs and get your soil and plant tissue tests done by a competent, reliable testing lab: Texas Plant and Soil Lab (TPSL).