permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:17:34 -0500

On 3/8/2013 9:39 AM, Koreen Brennan wrote:
as a note, the phosphate mines in Florida are doing horrible damage
to environments. Not even remotely sustainable to use mined phosphate

Use it anyway. You will do more good by using it and directly offsetting their bad environmental practices with your positive effect
your garden has on the local and regional ecology. Do not deprive yourself of rock or colloidal phosphate. Bone or feather meal is not an acceptable alternative.

- as bad as coal mining, etc. It's a good thing to check into mining
practices of whatever rock minerals you get. Using the waste stream
is the best. I haven't had rock dust from various waste streams
tested around here but something on my list. As you say Lawrence,
there is plenty of science out there about the positive effects of
rock minerals on plants.

There certainly is.

There is the soil science and then there are other factors. I always
test products and product combinations in my own garden for many
reasons. The main way I've done it is with seedlings but I'm doing
more with trees and other things now. One major wild card factor is
the spiritual relationship between a person and their plants. And
that sometimes supercedes all the nutrients in the world. I've had

Yes, I go into my garden and listen quietly; the plants send this message to me, "feed me more rock phosphate".

people go into my "volunteer" garden area and kill or stunt things
just by being around them, and others go in and the plant just leaps
upward and outward. That is a fascinating study.

Yes, vlad and solomon would have this effect.