permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:16:01 -0500

Toby Hemenway wrote:
And in reply to an earlier question, dance and song are excellent ways of learning, having been used to teach for millennia. But I'd be circumspect about what is being sung or danced. As we've seen here, spirituality in PDCs is a hot button. To me, a song about the mother goddess is no more appropriate for a PDC than is a song about our all being lambs of Jesus or children of Legba. Earth-centered spirituality is so much the water permies swim in that we can be blind to its presence.

EXACTLY, thank you.

I've had evangelical Christians, Muslims, and hasidic Jews in my classes point out how excluding some of our language is.
Yes, not to mention atheists/agnostics who happen to be purely science-oriented.

I will say personally that even though I don't subscribe to any organized religion nor am I atheist or agnostic (I'm basically a deist), and even though my brand of spirituality is decidedly earth based, I am *still* frequently turned off by much of the stuff that goes on around permaculture gatherings. That's one reason why I haven't gone to very many of them. So I figure, if even I feel alienated, I can only imagine how a Christian or an atheist feels... :D