permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:57:59 -0800

No, I suppose it's not. But I'll retain my wonderful memories of our Costa Rican host having us contemplate each species while finding purpose in our souls before harvesting plants for a salve, and in so many other ways encouraging a positive relationship between ourselves and the plants. Her attitude was that if you weren't happy, she did not want to have you working in the garden. Plants have feelings too, and important for humans working with them to tune themselves to give their best... Fukuoka's oft quoted line: "The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
What's a life for?
I feel I'm drifting far off your 'practicality' meter.
But, it's been fun!
Personally, I don't want to be near people who are working drudgefully... At one of our stops, helping out on a retreat, some folks had recently turned their attentions elsewhere, and, interestingly, the common garden still carried that feeling of bored stiff duty...
I'm not sure I would want to listen to someone spinning out their versions of these stories if I paid for a PDC, but I sure would be fussy about who I would have teaching me!
At 57, I'm not jumping into coursework all to often. I've mainly resigned myself to the school of life. I spend much time serving to others as allies in their lives in coursework.
Have to admit, though, all this talk has me embarking on a little research to see what's around locally in the way of PDC's. A friend of mine almost took a course this summer, a bit down island from here, and I've already put a call in to her to see what she knows/plans to do... Also interested in hearing more about on line course offerings as those are more liberated geographically speaking. I would be interested in hearing about any on line pdc course within the NW Pacific area.

Cheers!
Frances