permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: roundup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jeff <jko@save-net.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: roundup
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:47:51 -0700

Mark wrote:
> Actually it works great, only a few weeds fail to die when sprayed. I just
> find a lot of weeds to work on...BTW it's pretty much perennials and sod I
> spray, the former since there are few better options, the later to save
> time and get more done.

Ah... the debates surrounding Roundup can get complicated. For a
very small plot of land it isn't too difficult to find alternatives. Designs
that include a diversity of animals often have few weeds to control.
But the biggest factor is in how we evaluate and decide what the
best option is. For a farmer who is struggling to make a profit the
decision will involve time and money. For someone like
myself the answer involves balance and design. Our
thicket of blackberries ended up feeding a few pigs and became
a terraced fertile garden. The ham was good but it took
three years before the last root was eradicated.

Probably, a debate on Roundup would have to agree on goals
before any progress could be made. That would kill the debate
right there. Getting everyone to agree on what is important can
take forever <grin>.

jeff