msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 01:05:34 -0400

The CAP cadet program has traditionally limited the physical risks and the
psychological impact on minors. Our problem is that the child labor laws
seem to conflict with the minor program. For instance a 14 year old can get
a PWC license and a 16 year old can get an aircraft pilot license but in
Pennsylvania they cannot drive a vehicle combination heavy enough to haul
horses except on their family farm. There are work hours restrictions that
even apply to emergency work, both as to when during the day and how long
during the day. Minors are not permitted to operate power tools, dispense
motor fuel, and lots of other things that would be useful. Our current SOG's
cover long duration missions and "camping out" as it were but these
activities appear to be illegal as this exceeds the state hours worked and
violate the state curfew. The CAP is federal so they may get away with it.