msar-riders - [MSAR] New MSAR unit / MSAR in Kansas, training in Illinois

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] New MSAR unit / MSAR in Kansas, training in Illinois
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:34:23 -0700

From: "ALLEN SNYDER" <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
Una and all, I am just beginning to look into the feasibility and try to build a unit, but understand it will be a big job and take possibly a couple of years! [...] I am a little overwhelmed by all the information and what I should learn before participating, but MSAR seems to be a very helpful and informative group. The basic training we are required to do SAR with Civil Air Patrol is Emergency Services. I hope to complete CISM in Sept. at a nearby Air Force base. Thanks for all your help. Dana <<

Check with CAP in Oklahoma. A few years ago they were working on standards for CAP Mounted SAR.

Going forward you'll want to meet MSAR national standards, which are currently stalled, but still pending through ASTM. www.astm.org Anticipate needing to meet national standards for ground SAR, which is ASTM F2209 (NASAR SARTECH II www.nasar.org or equivalent) plus various knowledge, skills and abilities specific to the MSAR specialty ... in addition to a mount and horsemanship suitable for a mounted searcher.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
www.ceoates.com/msar