market-farming - [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:20:57 -0500

Rick Williams wrote:

In order to criticize someone like Avery, you need to give some examples of
where he is wrong. I think you would find it difficult to do that.

Um, Rick, when did you join the list? I published my article on Dennis Avery and Rebecca Goldberg debating GMOs at the Food & Farming Conference in December, 2000. It's rather infamous, because although it showed that Dennis Avery had *no* understanding of what organics was all about and could quote no reputable studies to back up any of his arguements, the original owner of this list was so angry that he suspended the entire listserve and Liz had to find another organization to host the list.

Dr. Bill Liebhardt of the University of California at Davis was so angry at Avery's inability to use science to back up his tirades that he later did a review comparing conventional and organic yields over the past 20 years. I don't have the URL, but he's not hard to find and I believe the study he did was widely published -- I know I saw it in several different publications.

If Liz doesn't have my original article in the archives, I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy. I am often hired to write articles for events like this and I try to reproduce what goes on at these talks as accurately as possible. I knew very little about Avery before the 2000 Food & Farming Conference, but after hearing him speak at this conference, I have no respect for the man at all.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of