market-farming - [Market-farming] Unbiased Sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Unbiased Sources
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:06:00 -0600

Marc:

I believe if you do a "google" search for Consumer Reports and organic,
you'll find some unbiased information. I found some, but they want a $22
subscription to read the full text. The gist of their report is that
organic food is safer when the presence of residues from pesticides and
herbicides are compared between organic and conventionally raised produce.

If you are looking for unbiased sources, I believe that the USDA has an
agricultural research service that appears to be unbiased. Their url is:
http://www.nps.ars.usda.gov. If you do a search for "organic" on their
site, you will find several projects and publications listed. One
interesting publication had the title, "Transformation of Organic Matter and
Its Effect on Nutrient Reserves."

Have you ever read anything from Acres, USA? I used to get their
publications. I do recall several articles related to this subject, but I
don't know if they would satisfy your "unbiased reporting" litmus test or
not. I found one article on-line that you might want to read that discusses
some pretty interesting studies. Its URL is:
http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/organicvsconventional_nov00.pdf.

Well, I gotta go to work...

Take care,

Dave Lilligren
Sandstone, MN

Not much snow, because it's been too cold! ;o)