market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marc" <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis Avery's mouth
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:03:28 -0700

I pretty much feel the same way about organic.

The first organic grower I spoke with was at the Columbia, MO ag conference.

I asked him some questions about why his products were so expensive. He
rolled his eyes and went into all kinds of elitist behaviors and basically
ACTED like he was speaking with such an insect and if I didn't get it it
wasn't worth his time to explain it. I guess I did not have the right
attitude or pre-attitude.

He'd probably find it a surprise that I viewed him as incompetent as he
could not simply explain to me why his product was so much better than
"normal".

This was the same conference where there was a fella and his wife trying to
sell "living water" technology and attempting to explain to me why most
water was "dead". When I disagreed they went into the elitist behavior also.
Then we had the ozone sellers, new age metaphysical crowd with magnets,
volcanic rocks, electromagnetic gizmo's and such. These folks were also
unable to explain why their stuff was cool in a scientific fashion and
tended to do the elitist thing.

I wondered why the metaphysical and snake oil crowd would be so prevalent at
an ag thingie. Over the years on the internet ag groups and in various ag
magazines I find lots of things about magnetic fields, magnets, volcanic
rocks, audio tapes for crops, magnetic and electromagnetic water softeners,
crystals, colloidal silver, water witches, 150 mpg carburetors, free energy
machines, water energizers, fuel energizers, various colored witches (white
seems most popular), gall bladder extract of bat, eye of newt, sure cure
for cancers. Why so prevalent in Ag?

Seeing what types of "out-of-the-box" endeavors Ag attracts I find the Avery
denigrators to have no better credibility as Avery unless they can supply
objective scientific proof. I could care less about the incestuous
popularity of organic among organic growers and the incestuous unpopularity
of Avery.

If there is a scientific (objective) basis then whoop it out!

Of course it's easier to call names, stick one's elitist nose in the air and
act special 'n' more better. In the box behaviors. Demonize your enemies,
idealize your behavior and beliefs, black and white, you're perfect and your
enemy is perfectly bad. In the box behaviors.

Isn't organic supposed to be out of the box, sustainable, etc.? So why do
"out of the box" folks act so in the box? Could organic be a scam if the
producers are not out of the box folks which implies the product cannot be
either.

Marc Nameth

Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why I can't believe a word out of Dennis
Avery's mouth