internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <gina.norman AT nortelnetworks.com>
  • To: "'internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:15:11 -0500

Title: RE: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

> Living ten
> feet from your neighbor isn't terrible if you know them.

Caveat:

I actually like Southern Village, BUT I do think the houses are too close together *for my taste*.  Swell neighbors or not, I like the privacy of being on a larger lot.  I also like *a lot* of windows... and in my experience, when you build homes close together, you forgo windows on 2 out of 4 sides of your house.  I have windows on all 4 sides of mine and I'm not staring directly into my neighbor's bathroom!

That being said, it might be an acceptable sacrifice for walk-ability etc.  (Of course, I'm probably the only person around who'd *have* to go to a HT to get the things I need even tho the Wellspring is right there.  And the post office and the dry cleaner and my friends' houses, etc. I figure I'm going to be out in the car every day anyway, so if I hit the grocery on the way home from work or on the way from getting my hair cut, is that such a terrible thing?  I suppose I am high-maintenance...)

-Gina