homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony and Frustration

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony and Frustration
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:49:47 -0400

Warning, I'm getting wound up...

Lynda wrote:
We've had quite a few roads done around here. Some have some type of
sign on them. They have saved jobs, sort of. They were b.s. jobs
to begin with that should never have been funded!

I don't understand how anyone can know for sure whether or not a job has
been created or saved. There are probably a dozen or so large
companies that bid on road work...if it is a big project, there are
about 3 names you see... Nine companies may have gone out of business
because the big projects go to the biggest and most sound companies. So
of the theoretical 3, one gets the job. How do we know that the company
was in trouble and facing layoffs? If they were in that bad of shape,
they probably would not have won the bid. If road work needs to be
done, an existing company is hired, not a new company. The guy that
drives the asphalt truck,,,he's not new either...I don't get how
projects create jobs. Even with the signs, they will contract a sign
shop or use prisoners. Is any position that is involved with any kind
of government project a job 'saved'? How do we know the job was in
danger of being 'lost'?

And, yes, it is a gazillion dollars cause once the feds put in money then Davis-Bacon is in force and D-B is NOT based on local wages! D-B
is based on union dreams!

And unions...like those jokers were ever in danger of losing their cush
jobs without compensation?

So, the project was finished a couple of months ago. Now the local city council has said that the city has to lay off policemen and firemen because they don't have any money.

Well, I read that MARTA(Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) will be
buying drug and bomb dogs and hiring over 200 security officers to fight
terrorism. This is laughable because the folks over at the sheriff's
office can't retire because they are already several hundred positions
shy of being able to cover the jail and all the SO duties. The jail
apparently has a new wing that can't be used because there are not
enough deputies to staff it, meanwhile, there are 3 prisoners in cells
meant for 2...meanwhile over at the Fire Department, stations are closed
and others are browned out....Sheer madness.

Bev
--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed