homestead - Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:00:27 -0800 (PST)

Bob, also consider Chinese Pole Beans,,,,

>From my Desert Gardening Book.... the love the heat, do well in AZ, and
>climb u pto 8' tall.
No pests, no disease.  Can also be used as a screen to keep sun off of
windows, or even use over trelises.  Prolific production.

SOOOOOOO, since I have a problem with the sun coming in my east windows in
the summer.... a couple of weeks ago I built an angled trelise for Chinese
beans to climb and provide shade over the windows....  Angled, at about 55
degrees so I can walk under and pick the pole beans.... which will need to be
done daily from the way it sounds.

Pole beans, space savers to boot.

I'm going to plant a bunch of sunflowers off the south side windows to have a
pretty view, as well as lots of seeds for munching on later, and will have to
consider growing more beans on the west side, although I do have some trees
on the west side that help with the heat/sun.

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell