homestead - [Homestead] More spring palnting

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] More spring palnting
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:15:25 -0800 (PST)

I just finished planting 3 sixpacks of bushbean plants that I bought at our
best local Nursery, yesterday afternoon. Also, planted sveral yellow, red,
and green bell sweet peppers (4 " pots). I have used up most of my garden
spaces, already and haven't even got my box of seed from gurneys. I intend
to plant quite a few okra, and I will plant it all from seed.

To digress, though. When I went to the nursery , yersterday, things seemed
strange, out and about. The city and traffic was busy , as usal, but, thwe
stores were "dead".

Now, maybe it is because I rarely go to shopping centers or department stores
or really much of anykind of store other than hardware/outdoor or book
stores; but;

I had ordered a few really good 'internet only' tool deals from Sears and
had to do a local merchandise pick-up. The Sears is in a typical large-city
shopping center with many other stores, big and moderate size.

I walked all the way thru the Saers to the Merchandise pic-up and there was
only 'one' other customer in the entire store. The parking lot in front of
the Sears was basically empty. Most of the other stores in that shopping
center looked the same way. Now, the Costco that anchored the3 end cotrner
of the center looked busy as usal; but nothing else.

Maybe this is typical for a Friday afternoon ? I don't know. But, Sears
would have been better off to Shut the doors, and most of the other stores
looked the same.

I went from Sears to my nursery, a few city blocks away, and it was jammed
packed. Now, the vast majority of pweople were buying flowers and shrubs and
other ornamentals, but more people than normal were hanging out in the
vegetable section.

One man's anecdotal Friday afternoon. The city is busy, but retail looks
very slow.

Anyway, this post might show up immediately or in three hours, but I'm
finished planting for this am.............