homestead - [Homestead] Done!

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Done!
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:26:54 -0600

Well, as of last week I'm finally finished with the rabies shots. The last four rounds of ImoVax made me sick with an achy flu-like feeling, enlarging a lymph gland enough that the radiologist at my annual mammogram sent me for a sonogram to make sure nothing else was going on. So I'm waiting for that report, and of course, the bills for all this.

We've been able to keep on schedule with our starting of vegetable transplants (we plant down here when most of you are just cracking open your seed catalogs I would imagine) and my husband finished replacing the plastic siding on the greenhouse with Solexx which already seems to be helping retain more heat. A mouse got into the laundry room and dug up about half the eggplant seeds out of the flats, so our best mousing cat has been placed on duty.

They are predicting we won't get rain until October, and we've had a number of fire warnings due to wind and drought. We've been under a burn ban for so long we can't remember the last time we used our fire pit. Our live oaks are starting to show this lack of rain. Their leaves were much smaller this year (more sky between the branches) and they look less vibrant. There seemed to be more pecan branches falling off the trees for our kindling this year, too.

Is it true that snow brings nitrogen? If so you all may have prosperous gardens this year.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas