homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:12:49 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
I recall you saying that he said it must be eaten with fats. That implies that one eat turmeric the spice, and not use the extra supplement that you buy in the store. The extracted curcumin pills obviously have no fat-they left the fat behind in the process.<g>. Asto other dietary fats, I have also increased my intake of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids by eating more sardines and fish in general, so perhaps that helped.
If I just said "with fats", I offer my apologies, because what he actually said was more along the line of 'heated with fats, as in the dietary usage'. He also offered his opinion that it was on the order of 10 times more effective used that way. I haven't, of course, tried it, but even if a portion were consumed that way, seems it would cut down on the need for the encapsulated version.
He explained the change it undergoes but my focus was elsewhere, I guess, because that didn't 'stick' in my brain; I just remember thinking of soy and its traditional Eastern usage (almost always fermented) and the Western mess made of the soybean.....Although he didn't make the comparison, he did go on some about its (turmeric) traditional Asian usage and the way it's used now in the West, as a 'straight' dose of herb. He considers the use of the ground version as available here to be of negligible benefit.

If, though, in all the research you did about it, that never showed up, maybe not worth bothering with.....

It would soon seem to be 'medicine', though, in either usage---a little like garlic, which I like and use regularly but when I get too much people start fussing at me....lucky I live by myself, maybe. I do cut back on it considerably when I know I'm going to be gone, and fortunately, it doesn't take too long to get rid of it, just a couple of days. Plus you can eat quite a bit of garlic before it starts to work its way through. And I remember my kids smelling like walking vitamin tablets when they were little, from the extra B trying to ward off marsh mosquitoes.

SJ