homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:43:16 -0500

sjc wrote:

Did you see my note a few weeks ago about what the local Chinese med
guy said about using turmeric? Might be worth a go...????

I recall you saying that he said it must be eaten with fats. That
implies that one eat turmeric the spice, and not use the extract
supplement that you buy in the store. The extracted curcumin pills
obviously have no fat-they left the fat behind in the process.<g>. As
to other dietary fats, I have also increased my intake of Omega 3 and 6
fatty acids by eating more sardines and fish in general, so perhaps that
helped.
Just so everyone is aware....As to my eating straight turmeric instead
of the extract, everyone should be aware that 9 tsp = approx 400 mg
therefore a minimum 1000mg dose for me (of regular turmeric) would be
about 23 tsp a day, about 1/2 cup of turmeric equivalent a day-this is
what I took for 3+ weeks. A 1500 mg dose would be about 34 tsp a day,
about 3/4 c of turmeric a day. Hopefully you can understand any
reluctance I might have over this. :)

And I noticed that Fedco has seed for /silybum marianum/, if you haven't found it elsewhere. Hope I spelled that right, catalog gone
for a visit at the moment.

Thanks, and I had not ordered anything. I was waiting for objective
results, which I feel that I have now.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge