homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:44:34 -0800

It makes sense though. Kind of like calcium. If you eat calcium in its natural form, you have little trouble with it and kidney stones. If you take the pills, and you are prone to kidney stones, you're in big trouble.

Look at anything out there and the natural form works better. Particularly in the case of turmeric when you consider that to get the powder they boil it and boiling of most anything removes a lot of the benefit.

Now, I wonder, thinking of the East Indian recipes I've collected over the years, most include peppers and some type of oils (coconut being seen a lot), if the curcuma doesn't work with the oils AND the capacian to be most effective.

Somewhere I have a recipe that calls for toasting a lot of the spices and then taking slices of ginger and turmeric and a couple of others and making a paste that you cook in the oil.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "sjc" <indexer AT fairpoint.net>

If I just said "with fats", I offer my apologies, because what he
actually said was more along the line of 'heated with fats, as in the
dietary usage'. He also offered his opinion that it was on the order of
10 times more effective used that way. I haven't, of course, tried it,
but even if a portion were consumed that way, seems it would cut down on
the need for the encapsulated version.

He explained the change it undergoes but my focus was elsewhere, I
guess, because that didn't 'stick' in my brain; I just remember thinking
of soy and its traditional Eastern usage (almost always fermented) and
the Western mess made of the soybean.....Although he didn't make the
comparison, he did go on some about its (turmeric) traditional Asian
usage and the way it's used now in the West, as a 'straight' dose of
herb. He considers the use of the ground version as available here to
be of negligible benefit.

If, though, in all the research you did about it, that never showed up,
maybe not worth bothering with.....

It would soon seem to be 'medicine', though, in either usage---a little
like garlic, which I like and use regularly but when I get too much
people start fussing at me....lucky I live by myself, maybe. I do cut
back on it considerably when I know I'm going to be gone, and
fortunately, it doesn't take too long to get rid of it, just a couple of
days. Plus you can eat quite a bit of garlic before it starts to work
its way through. And I remember my kids smelling like walking vitamin
tablets when they were little, from the extra B trying to ward off marsh
mosquitoes.

SJ