homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:15:22 -0500

Lynda wrote:
It makes sense though. Kind of like calcium. If you eat calcium in its natural form, you have little trouble with it and kidney stones. If you take the pills, and you are prone to kidney stones, you're in big trouble.

Look at anything out there and the natural form works better. Particularly in the case of turmeric when you consider that to get the powder they boil it and boiling of most anything removes a lot of the benefit.

Now, I wonder, thinking of the East Indian recipes I've collected over the years, most include peppers and some type of oils (coconut being seen a lot), if the curcuma doesn't work with the oils AND the capacian to be most effective.

Somewhere I have a recipe that calls for toasting a lot of the spices and then taking slices of ginger and turmeric and a couple of others and making a paste that you cook in the oil.

Lynda

Oils make good carriers, and medicinally, they are easy to apply topically.
Speaking of kidney stones...one of the things my doc mentioned was that statin drugs like Zocor are notorious for causing both liver inflammation and kidney stones. I did not know that...thought I would pass that on since I know a lot of folks take statins these day...lookout..kidney stones are painful!

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge