homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:54:18 -0800

Vaccine availability *might* be better if they were made here. HOWEVER, we have had more vaccine recalls for vaccines made in the U.S. than those we import from Europe.

Merck is one of the big vaccine manufacturers and they are reknown for their recalls. They did a huge recall of PEDVAXHIB last year, for one.

Second, when you link Big Pharma and the U.S. and vaccine manufacturing, you get lovely things like the law passed in July that makes Gardasil mandatory for all immigrants. Anyone want to try to come up with a reason for this except for Merck making more money???

Just a couple of things to think about when you link vaccines and U.S. government made together.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

Sage reports that rabies vaccine is made only in Europe. Rabies isn't
the only vaccine not made in the US. It seems to me that as a matter
of natyional security we need to set up a vaccine-making facility.
Only a few years ago, tetnus vaccine was not available. I strongly
believe that some things should be produced domestically. I know that
the drug companies don't care to make vaccines, but this is something
the government could actually do efficiently.