homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 03:07:14 -0600

According to the state health department records online in 2007 Texas had 32 confirmed rabies cases reported from foxes (mostly to the west in the desert region which I border), but at least six of those were from my region, one from a contingent county, but none from my county. In looking through the past three years of data, it looks like one out of four to six reported fox bites in Texas is rabid. Most rabies cases in my county are bats, one of the world's largest populations is within seven miles of my house. 2008 stats aren't posted online yet.

Lynda wrote:
I'd call these folks and find out if there have been any reported cases of rabid fox in your area. http://www.agfc.com/pdfs/reports/Human%20Rabies%20Post-Exposure%20Treatment%20in%20Arkansas%201994-2000.pdf

Seems to me that since, over a period of 6 years, there were only 4 confirmed cases of rabid fox in AR, that the odds of the fox being rabid aren't very high.

So, I'd do my homework on your area and find out just how many confirmed cases of rabies there have been. And make my decision based on that.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>