homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 22:23:31 -0500

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
I boiled the bite out with hydrogen peroxide immediately and then scrubbed with waterless soap. If I am going to go through the shots, which it looks inevitable, can you tell me if there is any way they might mess this up?...I'm not overly confident in our local medical staff.
I'm afraid I don't know about this newer vaccine they're using now. We used to give it in adipose tissue, so it went into the lower belly. I know the 'new' vaccine is far less painful and supposedly more reliable than the old, but about routes and techniques I'm sorry, I don't know. Last I heard it was five injections, all could be in upper arm or buttocks. Your statement before was the first I ever heard of giving it at the site of the wound, but the last I knew they were still giving GG (gamma globulin) with it, so maybe that's just to get the GG directly to the site. That's strictly a guess.

The state dept of health handles most of that here, and we in the past 10 years have had a peak of rabies and it's heading back down now, after a lot of killer baits put out for raccoons, so they've gotten pretty good at it, but I've been fortunate enough to escape all close contact, so am not up on the current regime for vac. Maybe someone in forest service, park admin, or something, and see if you can get some references to someone who's been there? Come to think of it, if you don't have anyone there you can trust, call where they ARE having a bad problem, likely they would at least be able to answer questions.

SJ