homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:50:22 -0600

I boiled the bite out with hydrogen peroxide immediately and then scrubbed with waterless soap. If I am going to go through the shots, which it looks inevitable, can you tell me if there is any way they might mess this up?...I'm not overly confident in our local medical staff.

sjc wrote:
Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
However, it occurs to me it's possible fox saliva might have gotten in those scratches too.
The virus cannot sustain itself long away from the host animal.....temperature, sunlight, dehydration, soap/water, simple exposure to air all kill it fast. The time used to be considered to be 10 minutes, but that information is about 20 years old, not sure what the new would be....but not long, at any rate. The problem is at the site of the bite/lick where the virus is transferred to a new acceptable host.

I've seen one person die of rabies and was on the team that treated the first known person to survive it, neither a pretty picture. Survival of that disease is not to say you would be in a desirable condition, sad to say......and that kid was only 13....

Get the shots, argue later about who's gonna pay.

SJ