homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:34:31 -0600

Today I am feeling less sore, and relieved. But not exactly looking forward to the next round.

I feel the same way, Lynn. Also the idea of vaccines is not unlike homeopathy where you introduce a foreign substance into the body to build up resistance, except in this case you are building up antibodies. It makes more sense to me than most of the rest of Western medicine.

Homesteaders are willing to take chances but mostly on things we have some control over within our lifestyle. This is a huge financial burden for us at a time we are already committed to building a second chicken coop for breeding rare chickens. But as Marie pointed out, I can worry about payment later. The form indicates there is a payment option after they settle with the insurance company. Whew!

After Lynda got me thinking about statistics, a 25% chance is pretty high when there is an alternative. And as James pointed out, rabies is usually 100% fatal, and as Susan Jane pointed out those who make it through don't have quality of life, which is what homesteading is really all about, right?

Bev, you didn't miss the details of how I got bitten as I was vague, but I am thinking about putting it in my blog because I have some amazing photos my husband took of me holding the fox. Let's just say that it involved both 100% compassion and stupidity on my part. Fortunately the Human Rabies Biologicals Payment Agreement and Surveillance Report did not ask for those kinds of details.

Bob, my blog is www.flowerweaver.blogspot.com but I'm so busy today I doubt if I'll get it posted right away.

You homesteaders have a great new year!!!

--Sage

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; Even I, anti-doctor as I am, would have gotten the shots. The cost would have given me pause more than the 'western medicine' thing. There are some things I would rely on western medicine for...setting broken bones, doing necessary surgeries, and things like rabies shots, where there are no natural alternatives. Serious and immediately life-threatening things they handle well. It's the more mundane health issues where I think they are trained to treat the symptoms instead of the underlying problems.

Lynn Wigglesworth