homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:50:47 -0600

I could be wrong but I believe the Oryx is considered endangered everywhere and is not hunted. At least a couple of the ranches I know that raise them are in a program to breed them specifically for repopulating in Africa at some point. I don't know when that will happen, as long as there is hunger people are going to eat them endangered or not.

A friend of mine raises something called Pere David deer, called Milu in China which is also endagered. They are lovely. I think ranchers get some kind of subsidy to be in these programs. It is not unusual to see zebra, camel, widlebeast, bison, kangaroo, llama and others out here. How many of these are pets or hunter's targets I don't know. The non-native black buck antelope, elk, fallow and axis deer, and auodad sheep are all hunted year round.

bobf wrote:
Sage, the idea of having those Oryx running wild around where you live is so
unusual. I'm sure they were probaly orginally brought for canned hunts?
Since they are endangered in their indigenous environs, are they protected in
Texas? I hope you feel better, today.........................